Do you have a long term health condition or are you a carer? We offer a range of free programmes available for you!
What are Self Management Programmes?
Self Management Programmes (SMP) improve your quality of life by giving you new skills and information to help you manage your condition better on a daily basis. All the courses are free and run for 6 weeks, 2.5 hours a week. The courses are tutored by trained volunteers who themselves are living with a long term health condition. Morning, afternoon and evening courses are available and available in community languages such as Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi, Arabic and Bengali.
What Self Management Programmes are available to me?
Expert Patients Programme (EPP)
The EPP is a 6 week course for adults living with long term health conditions. The EPP aims to help you take more control of your health by learning new skills to manage your condition better on a daily basis.
Looking After Me (LAM)
A course for carers LAM is a 6 week course for adults who care for people living with a long term health condition or disability. The programme is about making time to look after your own health needs. It helps you take control of your situation and make a difference to your life.
Looking After Me (LAM) dementia
This is a 7 week course specifically for carers of someone with dementia. It looks at supporting carers to think about their own health and wellbeing.
What do you learn on the programmes?
- Getting a good night’s sleep
- Coping with difficult emotions/depression
- Relaxation techniques and exercise
- Healthy eating
- Communicating with family, friends and health professionals
- Dealing with pain and extreme tiredness
How can attending a self management programme help me?
By taking part in a self management programme you will:
- Learn new skills to manage your health condition
- Develop confidence in the daily management of your specific condition
- Meet others and share similar experiences
- Learn about developing more effective relationships with healthcare professionals
How have the programmes helped other people?
People who have taken part in a Self Management Programme have said that it has helped them to:
- Feel more confident and more in control of their life
- Manage their condition and treatment alongside healthcare professionals
- Be realistic about the impact of their condition on themselves and their family
- Use their new skills and knowledge to improve their quality of life
How do I get a place?
To book your place on any programme please call The Healthy Ageing Team on 01384 816437 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information visit www.lets-get.com.